Elaiza wins Unser Song für Dänemark and represents Germany!
The German selection Unser Song für Dänemark aired live from the Lanxess Arena in Cologne tonight, with eight artists competing to represent Germany at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014.
After three rounds of voting, Elaiza with the song “Is It Right” won the show!
The eight finalists and their songs were:
- Das Gezeichnete Ich – “Weil Du Da Bist” / ”Echo”
- Oceana – “Thank You” / ”All Night”
- Santiano – “The Fiddler on the Deck” / ”Wir Werden Niemals Untergehen”
- MarieMarie – ”Cotton Candy Hurricane” / ”Candy Jar”
- The Baseballs – “Mo Hotta Mo Betta” / ”Goodbye Peggy Sue”
- Elaiza – ”Is It Right” / ”Fight Against Myself”
- Unheilig – “Als Wär’s Das Erste Mal” / ”Wir Sind Alle Wie Eins”
- Madeline Juno – ”Like Lovers Do” / ”Error”
The show was hosted by Barbara Schöneberger and saw guest appearances by Emmelie de Forest, Emma Marrone, and Adel Tawil.
After the eight contestants had performed their first song, with Unheilig undoubtedly receiving the biggest cheers, the field was cut down to four.
The lucky semi-finalists were:
In the second round, the semi-finalists got to perform their second songs, before the public got to vote again.
The top two was then revealed, being:
- Elaiza with their song “Is It Right”
- Unheilig with their song “Wir Sind Alle Wie Eins”
Elaiza suprisingly won this final battle with the song “Is It Right” and the right to represent Germany! They initially won the right to perform in the show by winning the Wildcard Club Concert earlier, being the only act not selected for the show by a jury.
Being one of the Big 5, Germany is directly qualified for the Grand Final on May 10, but will vote in the second semi-final as determined by the draw in Copenhagen.
Photos: Stijn Smulders / EBU