Exclusive interview with Conchita Wurst of Austria!
Conchita Wurst (aka Tom Neuwirth), Austria’s participant for the Eurovision Song Contest 2014, revealed her goals, hopes, and memories of Eurovision, in an exclusive interview, only for ESC Reporter.
The full interview:
- How were you selected to represent Austria in Eurovision 2014?
My agent used to say, “After ESC is before ESC,” So he wrote a concept and handed it to ORF. They thought it would fit and here I am representing Austria. :-)
- What do you wish to bring to Eurovision Song Contest and what does it mean to you?
First of all, a dream came true for me. I LOVE ESC and this is a very big thing for me. I really want to sing my heart out there, but also fight for more tolerance and acceptance in our society. I want a song with a very strong message to deliver my opinion of living without discrimination.
- What music style do you want your entry song to be and how will it be selected?
My producers and I are writing music and also I got tons of songs from all over Europe. I will listen to all of them and decide by “how much do I feel them,” because I’m always singing with my heart.
- After you got 2nd in the Austrian final in 2012, did you already know that you wanted to try again to go to Eurovision?
Yes! I’m not a quitter at all. I wanted it so bad that i knew back then I would never give up. But that’s also the story of my life, I guess :-)
- What are some experiences and memories that you have of Eurovision?
I remember watching ESC with my mom when I was like 7 or something. The years went by and I think I just missed the song contest once, and this was actually this year, because I worked in Africa. But I think I saw all the other ones.
- What is your favorite Eurovision song?
“Ne partez pas sans moi” by Celine Dion.
- How did you get the name Conchita Wurst?
Well I think everybody agrees if I say being a teenager is a tough time. And it was the same when I was a teenager. I always felt like an outsider and I always tried to fit in. I never did. So I decided to live my life how ever I wanted, and after the years, I created Conchita. She shows me, and hopefully some other people, that you can do whatever you want with your life, as long as you don’t hurt anybody. Conchita stands for tolerance and acceptance.
- How is Conchita different from Tom? How are they the same?
hahaha…Conchy is way stronger than Tom. Her self esteem is bigger. Tom is more relaxed and laid back :) They are totally the same when it comes to men…hahahaha
- What are you looking forward to the most about Eurovision 2014?
So many things. Of course the show, the song, the other artists…I don’t know where to start. I’m just excited!
More information about Conchita Wurst can be found at the following links: