First half of Melodifestivalen participants revealed!
This morning, the national Swedish broadcaster SVT announced the first 16 participants that will take part in Melodifestivalen 2014. And the list is full of familiar Eurovision and Melodifestivalen faces!
Already, a lot of the rumors and speculations from the Swedish tabloid media are proven to be true.
Eurovision winner confirmed
When the first semi-final kicks off on February 1 in Malmö Arena, it will be with Eurovision Song Contest winner Helena Paparizou, who won for Greece back in 2005. She will compete with the song, “Survivor.”
Also in this semi-final is last year’s runner up YOHIO, who won the televote in the final but lost out to Robin Stjernberg because of the international jury votes. He will compete with the song “To The End.”
Sylvester Schlegel has won Melodifestivalen before, when he was a member of the group The Ark, winning in 2007.
The full line up of semi-final 1:
- Mahan Moin – Aleo (Mahan Moin, Anderz Wrethov)
- Alvaro Estrella – Bedroom (Jakke Erixson, Jon Bordon, Lauren Francis, Kristofer Östergren)
- Linus Svenning – Bröder (Fredrik Kempe)
- Sylvester Schlegel – Bygdens Son (Sylvester Schlegel)
- Elisa Lindström – Casanova (Ingela “Pling” Forsman, Bobby Ljunggren, Jimmy Jansson)
- Ellen Benediktson – Songbird (Sharon Vaughn, Johan Fransson, Tim Larsson, Tobias Lundgren)
- Helena Paparizou – Survivor (Bobby Ljunggren, Henrik Wikström, Karl-Ola Kjellholm, Sharon Vaughn)
- YOHIO – To The End (Andreas Johnson, Johan Lyander, Peter Kvint, YOHIO)
Familiar faces and ABBA descendants
In the second semi-final on February 8 in Linköping, is Martin Stenmarck, who won Melodifestivalen in 2005 and went on to compete against Paparizou in Kyiv. He came 19th among 24 contestants that year. Stenmarck will compete with the Swedish-language song “När Änglarna Går Hem,” written by himself, Alexander Bard of BWO, Andreas Öhrn of Bard’s current music project Gravitonas, and Peter Boström of Euphoria fame.
Sanna Nielsen is also in this semi-final, participating in Melodifestivalen for the seventh time. She won the televote in the final in 2008, but lost out to Charlotte Perrelli because of the jury votes. In general, she places very high in the contest when she participates. This time, she will compete with the song “Undo.”
Of the group Little Great Things, Charlie and Felix Grönvall may not sound familiar but they are in fact grandsons of Benny Andersson of ABBA.
The full line up of semi-final 2:
- Panetoz – Efter Solsken (Johan Hirvi, Mats Lie Skåre, Nebeyu Baheru, Njol Badjie, Pa Modou Badjie)
- Manda – Glow (Joy Deb, Linnéa Deb, Melanie Wehbe, Charlie Mason)
- Pink Pistols – I Am Somebody (Joakim Törnqvist, Nestor Geli, Per Ivar Hed, Susie Päivärinta, Tord Bäckström)
- JEM – Love Trigger (Thomas G:son, Peter Boström, Julimar “J-Son” Santos)
- Martin Stenmarck – När Änglarna Går Hem (Andreas Öhrn, Alexander Bard, Martin Stenmarck, Peter Boström)
- Little Great Things – Set Yourself Free (Charlie Grönvall, Cristoffer Wernqvist, Felix Grönvall, Adam Dahlström)
- The Refreshments – Hallelujah (Joakim Arnell)
- Sanna Nielsen – Undo (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamed “K-One” Pirouzpanah)