Luxembourg at Eurovision 2017? Fans launch petition
Will Luxembourg return to the Eurovision Song Contest?
That's what Sabrina Gérar wants to achieve. Gérar is not just a nostalgic Eurovision fan. As a musician, she has participated in the German edition of The Voice.
Gérar created "Petition 649” on the Luxembourg’s government official website. She has collected 172 electronic signatures from nation’s fans so far.
Gérar mentions on her petition for a 2017 return that Luxembourg could show if they decided to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest that:
- The country is not just banks but also is rich in good musicians and composers.
- It is willing to risk change.
- It encourages and assists its population and their interest and in the ability of artists and their music.
- It offers the possibility for musicians to become better known beyond the borders.
- It allows its artists to expand their hobbies and passion for the profession.
- It is part of Europe and part of the history of the contest
- It encourages musicians in their development efforts.
Luxembourg was one of the founding countries of the Eurovision Song Contest, debuting in the first edition of the festival in 1956. Luxembourg was also one of the most successful countries in the contest, winning in 1961, 1965, 1972, 1973, and 1982. Anne Marie-David, the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 1973, is also recognized as the winner with the highest percentage of available points.
Luxembourg participated in the Eurovision Song Contest for the last time in 1993.