Second Austrian show for Eurovision: How it happened!
Tonight, Austria saw the second show of the national final! Here is what happened this evening.
The six finalists initially had to perform a cover song of their choice to win over the judges and the public. They performed these songs:
- The Makemakes: ‘I Shot The Sheriff’ by Bob Marley
- Celina Ann: ‘Empire State of Mind’ by Alicia Keys
- DAWA: ‘Bitter Sweet Symphony’ by The Verve
- Folkshilfe: Medley of ‘Just the Way You Are’/’Let’s Get Loud’/’Hangover’/’Danza Kuduro’/’ Monsta’/’Sexy and I Know It’/’Firework’
- Johann Sebastian Bass: ‘Stronger’ by Kanye West
- Zoe: ‘Something’ by The Beatles
The artists then had to perform a song in a surprising manner. They did this in various ways, including singing in a style from a different era, with a guest, or by singing in a traditional Austrian style. The audience were asked to vote on which acts made the best impression of the evening with The Makemakes, Celina Ann and Folkshilfe coming out on top, despite this show not being an elimination round.
Next week’s show on March 6 will see each of the acts sing two songs. The judges will then select the better of the two for each act. The chosen songs will be the ones that will enter the final and potentially represent Austria at Eurovision 2015. The final will take place on March 13 where the song that will compete in Vienna will be selected.